Corvette Stingray Racer 1959
GM was officially out of racing, so GM designer, Bill Mitchell, rented a garage near GM’s Warren, Michigan Tech Center and formed his own team. He bought and rebodied Zora Duntov’s Sebring SS mule car, dubbed it the Sting Ray, and installed Dr. Dick Thompson-the Washington, D.C. dentist-behind the wheel. The car was SCCA C-Production champion in 1960. It has since been celebrated as the missing link between the SS and the Grand Sports of 1963, and maybe the most successful factory racer in the history of the marque.
The fact that a GM employees clay-shaper, no less-would indulge in such an adventure raised eyebrows both inside and outside the company. But it did not bother Bill, to whom the unconventional was the ordinary.
There was a red and a silver version of the Stingray.